- The guide and the blind person have contact through a folded white cane or by using a belt. The white cane should be clean or sanitised before using. Encourage using the cane as one uses it on a small path. The guide takes the one end while the blind person holds on to the other end that is the Guide holds the tip end of the cane and the blind will hold the grip end and walk behind the Guide at the folded white cane length. Similarly use the belt tied on the upper arm of the blind person and the guide. This will provide information through the movement of the guide. Of course, this can only be given as a suggestion and then the decision left to the blind person.
- Using of hygienic gloves. The guide and the blind person should each wear the gloves.
- The blind person should instead of holding onto the elbow of the guide as he/she was trained, hold the upper arm of the guide and in certain situations may hold onto the top of the shoulder of the guide.
- Always make sure to regularly wash and/or sanitise your hands.
- Cover mouth and/or nose when coughing or sneezing with a tissue and thereafter dispose of the tissue in a refuse bin.
- Avoid touching your face, eyes, nose and mouth.
- When using public transport, public toilets, or going to a supermarket, clinic or other public area always wash your hands for at least 20 seconds and consider using the wipes or sanitiser at the premises.
- Blind persons should consider self-isolating themselves in view of the vulnerable situation they find themselves in. In this regards ensure that you have a reasonable stock of your medication, food and cleaning materials.
- And kindly inform a family member, friend or neighbour that you are in self isolation so that they may be in communication with you.
- Please follow all instructions issued by the Department of Health and the National Command Council.
- Contact the COVID Coronavirus Hotline toll free telephone 0800 029 999 or the SMS 0600 123 456
Issued by Blind SA and Orientation and Mobility Association of SA (OMASA)
Ann Heard – 0765755177
Johnson Mdluli – 0731307479 (BLIND SA)